[GAP Forum] Solving Cubic and Quartic Equations in GAP

Andreas Distler a.distler at tu-bs.de
Thu Jun 9 12:52:29 BST 2005

Dear John Mckay, dear GAP Forum,

> What does the answer below mean???
>
> "if at all possible" - for 3-ics and 4-ics it is ALWAYS possible.
>
> has the answerer provided an expression in radicals for ALL solvable
> polynomial in Z[x]?

Indeed, I have described a theoretical approach in my diploma-thesis and
implemented the method in GAP (whereas KANT is also needed to use the
package). While it can deal with every solvable polynomial in theory, the
implementation is less practical than Bill Allombert's one:

>This is quite practical, you can handle polynomial of degree 100 and
>more, and it is available in PARI/GP but not in GAP.

It depends primarily on the order of the galois group, which should be less
than 100 in general.

Best wishes,
Andreas