[GAP Forum] Problems with Saved workspaces

Steve Linton sal at dcs.st-and.ac.uk
Tue May 31 17:34:47 BST 2005

Dear GAP Forum,

Laurent Bartholdi reported:

> hi,
> i'm using frank luebeck's compilation
> (http://www.math.rwth-aachen.de:8001/RsyncLinuxGAP/index.html) and
> the following happens:
> % gapL
> GAP4, Version: 4.4.5 of 13-May-05, i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
> gap> P := 1;
> 1
> gap> SaveWorkspace("xxx");
> true
> gap> quit;
> % gap -L xxx
> GAP4, Version: 4.4.5 of 13-May-05, i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
> gap> P;
> function( a ) ... end
>
> (this was unfortunate, since i created nightly a presentation P with
> 17000 generators and 211000 relations...)

This is bug in GAP, and will be fixed in the next update. The problem relates
only to the specific variable name "P", so as a workaround, users are
advised to call their data in saved workspaces something else. We apologise to
Laurent for his lost presentation.

	Steve

--
Steve Linton	School of Computer Science  &
      Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Computational Algebra