[GAP Forum] Permutations...

Alexander Hulpke hulpke at math.colostate.edu
Thu Apr 14 16:07:22 BST 2005

Dear Alastair,

> Consider the disjoint cycle form of alpha.  I want to get the permutation
> which has the same d.c.f. as alpha, except that each occurrence of a
> number k in this d.c.f. is replaced with k^beta.

What you describe is just the conjugation action of a permutation group on
itself. Simply calling alpha^beta will give you the desired result.

Best,

    Alexander

-- Colorado State University, Department of Mathematics,
Weber Building, 1874 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1874, USA
email: hulpke at math.colostate.edu, Phone: ++1-970-4914288
http://www.math.colostate.edu/~hulpke