[GAP Forum] Installing GAP via rsync - problems...

Gordon Royle gordon at csse.uwa.edu.au
Fri Apr 8 06:57:46 BST 2005

I just decided to upgrade GAP 4r3 to GAP 4r4 and thought that I would
try the new "rsync" mechanism for Linux computers.

I followed the instructions - that is, obtained "gapsync" and then ran
it, giving it the names of a directory for the files, and for the
start-up scripts. I wanted to install in my own home directory (not
/usr) so I just gave it $(HOME)/gap and $(HOME)/bin  (where i typed out
the full path for $HOME).

It downloaded heaps of stuff and then stopped... the subdirectory
$(HOME)/gap/gap4r4 is present and seems correct. However nothing has
been added to $(HOME)/bin.  I searched around for "gap.sh" and found
two copies of it - one in $(HOME)/gap/gap4r4/bin and one in
$(HOME)/gap/gap4r4/gapsync. I ran them, and indeed they started up GAP
- but version 4r3 of 06-May-2002.

This is NOT the version that I had installed previously, so it has in
fact installed something... but just not what I wanted!

Any ideas, or should I just go back to compiling?

Cheers

gordon