[GAP Forum] fatal error in IdSmallGroup

Bettina Eick beick at tu-bs.de
Wed Mar 16 09:55:15 GMT 2005

Dear GAP forum, Dear Michael,

> Error, IdSmallGroup: fatal Error. Please mail group to
> Hans-Ulrich.Besche at math.rwth-aachen.de called from
> ID_GROUP_FUNCS[inforec.func]( G, inforec ) called from
> IdGroup( Group( pp ) ) called from
> PolyID( pp ) called from
> PolyURL( pp, depth - 1 ) called from
> PolyURL( pp, depth - 1 ) called from
> Entering break read-eval-print loop ...
> you can 'quit;' to quit to outer loop, or
> you can 'return;' to continue
> brk>
>
> Unfortunately, nobody replied when I emailed the given email address.

Thanks for the hint on the e-mail address. The e-mail address is indeed
outdated and we will replace it by Hans Ulrich's current e-mail address
in the next release.

As to your problem: when I copy and paste `pp' into gap then I get the
following:

gap> G := Group(pp);
<permutation group with 3 generators>
gap> IdGroup(G);
[ 528, 162 ]

So the problem is not just a bug in IdGroup. I cannot tell without further
details what the problem is. Is your program running for a long time before
it crashes? And does the programm have long code? Can you perhaps pass the
code to me so that I can run it?

In any case, I suggest that we discuss the problem further in private
e-mails. I can also pass your e-mail on to Hans Ulrich, but it is not
clear to me that this is a problem with IdGroup and hence I am not sure
that he will deal with it.

Best wishes,
          Bettina