[GAP Forum] Urgent Issue on GAP...

Sergei Haller Sergei.Haller at math.uni-giessen.de
Tue Mar 8 17:19:46 GMT 2005

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Dan Rossul (DR) wrote:

DR> gap> g:=Group((1)(2)(3,4));
DR> Syntax error: ) expected
DR>
DR> I suppose GAP should understand (1)(2)(3,4) = (3,4)

seems that GAP interprets (1) as the integer 1 in parenthesis:

   gap> (1) in Integers;
   true
   gap> (1) in SymmetricGroup(4);
   false

on the other hand, an expression like "(3,4)(1)" is interpreted in the way
you expect it.

for your purpose, you might try something like  "PermList([1,2,4,3]);"

DR> [...] if Syntax error where should I add the )?

if you read the full error message:

   gap> g:=Group((1)(2)(3,4));
   Syntax error: ) expected
   g:=Group((1)(2)(3,4));
               ^
   gap>

then you can see an arrow pointing to the expected position.

        Sergei
--
         eMail:       Sergei.Haller at math.uni-giessen.de               /\\