[GAP Forum] Speed of GAP

Bulutoglu Dursun A Civ AFIT/ENC Dursun.Bulutoglu at afit.edu
Wed Feb 16 19:43:29 GMT 2005

	Dear Gap Forum,
	I was wondering how GAP compares to C in terms of speed.
	Is GAP slower processing through large loops?
Is there a programming style in GAP that can improve the speed at which
jobs are done? For example in some high level programming languages
avoiding loops as much as possible is recommended to boost speed.
Is GAP much slower when the data it processes through is large?
I have a GAP code running for a week now and it still has not finished.
I have a feeling that it would have run much faster with C.
Dursun.