[GAP Forum] Computing a subgroup of G which does not map i to j

Alastair Donaldson ally at dcs.gla.ac.uk
Tue Oct 5 10:47:08 BST 2004

Thanks to everyone for their useful comments on my problem.  I appreciate
that the set of elements that doesn't map i to j is not in general a
group, and I'm sure that I do need a group for my purposes.

As someone pointed out I could just use the stabiliser of i, but this
would potentially eliminate a lot of the group which I could have safely
used, so a larger group would be preferrable.

I'm going to experiment with the various possibilities which have been
proposed and I'll let the forum know if I have any success...

Cheers

Ally Donaldson