[GAP Forum] Computing a subgroup of G which does not map i to j

Alastair Donaldson ally at dcs.gla.ac.uk
Fri Oct 1 15:30:04 BST 2004

Dear GAP forum

I have the following problem:  I have a permutation group G acting on the
set 1..n, given by a set of generators.

I've discovered that one of the generators of G maps a certain value i to
a certain value j, and that this is not suitable for my purposes.

I want a subgroup of G which does not map i to j.  I could throw away all
generators that map i to j, but I'd probably lose most of the group then.

Is there an efficient way to compute generators for a "large" subgroup of
G which has no element that maps i to j?

Thanks

Alastair.