[GAP Forum] Re: reply to GAP forum question

Stefano Simonucci stefano.simonucci at tin.it
Tue Aug 31 07:21:40 BST 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 18:21, Paul Eric Becker wrote:
> Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:14:52 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Paul Eric Becker <peb8 at vortex.bd.psu.edu>
> To: stefano.simonucki at tin.it
> Subject: GAP forum qutestion
>
> Stefano:
>
> I have been doing a little work with group algebras and irreducible
> representations using GAP.  I may be able to answer some of your
> questions:

I have the problem to find the invariant subspaces of a representation
of a group. With the table of the character of the group I can construct
a projector onto a subspace relative to a particular irreducible
representation. But I must also find the decomposition (in invariant
subspaces) of an external product of invariant subspaces. I think that
it is not possible only with the table of the characters of the group. I
think that if I can find all the minimal ideals of the algebra of the
group I can also find the decomposition (in irreducile representations)
of the external product of irreducible representations.
Do you know if this is possible?
Thank you