[GAP Forum] problem with installation

Ayan Mahalanobis amahalan at fau.edu
Sat Aug 28 23:31:01 BST 2004

Hi,
I am having some problem with installing gap in linux. I  installed gap
before and it went without a glich. This time it is different. :(

I am inside the deirectory  /usr/local/gap4r4>
and the followiing commands are exercised.

sx084k5:/usr/local/gap4r4 # ./configure
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating sysinfo.gap
config.status: creating bin/gap.sh

make
bash: make: command not found

sx084k5:/usr/local/gap4r4 # ls
.    config.log     doc      lib          prim    sysinfo.gap
..   config.status  etc      Makefile     README  sysinfo.in
bin  configure      gap.shi  Makefile.in  small   trans
cnf  description3   grp      pkg          src     tst

I have no idea what is going on. any help will be highly appreciated.

Ayan