[GAP Forum] ? trouble getting started ?

brianbec at comcast.net brianbec at comcast.net
Sun Jul 25 20:13:08 BST 2004

Thanks all for your generous help.  Looks like I just had "conjugation" and "composition" backwards in my mind and I'm now "unstuck" :)

I've got a book by Fraleigh (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201763907/qid=1090782562/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/102-1074212-8968942?v=glance&s=books&n=507846 ).  I've read through it (all the way lightly) once, and am now looking forward to being able to plow through the exercises using GAP.  I had attempted to use Mathematica for that, but I would have had to create a bunch of support for non-commutative multiplication by overloading operators like Circle-Times and what not, or working with matrix representations ALL the time (yucch).

I may be too dumb for algebra, but I'm too smart to try golf <evil grin>