[GAP Forum] help with polycyclic

Werner Nickel nickel at mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu May 20 22:50:57 BST 2004

> Hello,
> I am new in GAP and was trying to come up with a polycyclic presentation
> of a 2-group. I couldn't get it to work.
> The message I am getting is this
>
> gap>UpdatePolycyclicCollector(flt);
> gap> IsConfluent(flt);
> Inconsistency at 4 3 2
> false

A polycyclic presentation called confluent if any two words in reduced
form (i.e. x1^e1*x2^e2*...*xn^en) define different elements of the
group given by the polycyclic presentation.  The reduced form is used
to check equality of elements.  Therefore, confluence of the
polycyclic presentation is essential for being able to perform
arithmetic in the group.

There are a number of reason why your presentation may not be
confluent.  If you send me the presentation, I am happy to have a
look.

All the best
Werner Nickel