[GAP Forum] floating point arithmetic

Frank Luebeck frank.luebeck at math.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Mar 11 13:52:23 GMT 2004

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Gordon Royle wrote:

> Am I correct in assuming that GAP provides no mechanism for floating
> point arithmetic (even at the underlying machine precision)?

Dear Gordon Royle, dear GAP Forum,

There is some basic access to machine floating point numbers. But this
is not documented and not well incorporated in the GAP library.
Try the functions: FLOAT_INT, FLOAT_STRING, SIN_FLOAT, LOG_FLOAT,
EXP_FLOAT, RINT_FLOAT, FLOOR_FLOAT and basic arithmetic among such
objects.

> I searched on the forum and found mention of packages decimal.g and
> complex.g that seemed to provide this, but I cannot find them in the
> GAP distribution that I just downloaded. Is there a current version of
> these available?

There are some files developed from the above ones, implementing an
interval arithmetic, see:
  http://www.math.rwth-aachen.de:8001/~Frank.Luebeck/decimal/init.html

Best regards,

   Frank Luebeck

///  Dr. Frank Lübeck, Lehrstuhl D für Mathematik, Templergraben 64,  ///
\\\                    52062 Aachen, Germany                          \\\
///  E-mail: Frank.Luebeck at Math.RWTH-Aachen.De                        ///
\\\  WWW:    http://www.math.rwth-aachen.de/~Frank.Luebeck/           \\\